12 April 2009

Productive Procrastination: I'm in!

Last summer before I left for Montpellier, I assured my parents, friends, and family that I would not be able to maintain a blog for what was to become essentially the best summer vacation ever.  Little did I know that it would become impossible to remember everything, to write anything down in a journal, or to keep in touch with any degree of regularity.  In stark contrast from the advice provided by the program administrator, there was an abundance of free wifi everywhere.  Bringing over my laptop would have been helpful in so many ways, for example in making travel plans, calling back to the states, storing photos, and of course, in blogging.

Last Monday I got word from the French Embassy that I had been accepted into their English Teaching Assistantship program.  This means about eight months of fun, travel, and work in the Orleans-Tours region of France starting around October.  I'm not making the same mistake this time around!

Did I mention that this program doesn't start until about October? I won't even know where in Orleans-Tours I'll be until June.  I mean, I recognize that I'm writing about 7 months ahead of schedule, but my GOD I can't wait to get out there.  My senioritis has officially set in and my motivation has been shot. There's a paper I should be writing that was due last week, but it just doesn't seem in my best interest to write it... Blarf.  I doodle "Orleans-Tours" onto all of my papers and write the name in hearts.  There ought to be an end of the semester exemption for seniors with awesome post-graduation plans. Really, they can't expect me to do anything. I've been waiting to go back to France since I left last August, and it's impossible to concentrate on anything else now that I know for certain I'm going back.

In the meantime and as productive procrastination, I'm researching apartments, teaching plans, fun American/French history to share with my students, French slang and conversational French, how to get my computer travel-ready, and train schedules. (Did I mention that I have about 2 weeks off every 2 months? :-D ) Oh, and learning how to upload pictures to this thing. Isn't my generation supposed to be technologically savvy?

No comments: